At-Large DC Councilmember Christina Henderson is seeking a highly motivated Health Policy Legislative Counsel to help develop and execute policy and legislative strategy for the DC Council’s Committee on Health.
The person in this position will work closely with the Councilmember and the Committee Director and be responsible for serving as the subject-matter expert for all agencies or policy issues that fall under their portfolio. A successful applicant will have experience and working knowledge of health care and related issues such as Medicaid and Medicare policy and law; experience working on policy, legislation, and government budgets; exceptional writing and editing skills; knowledge of local DC political and policy issues; and be an innovative problem solver and collaborative team member.
Responsibilities of the position include:
· Researching and drafting legislation and amendments and shepherding policy ideas through the legislative process, with a focus on health insurance coverage for District residents;
· Analyzing the annual performance metrics and proposed fiscal year budgets of assigned District health agencies;
· Researching, analyzing and tracking legislation;
· Drafting statements and questions for public hearings for the Councilmember;
· Preparing for and staffing the Councilmember at public hearings and relevant meetings;
· Engaging with key stakeholders, including District agencies, interest groups, Council and executive staff and constituents;
· Communicating effectively and professionally with internal and external stakeholders.
Requirements: Graduate degree required. Minimum 3 years of work experience. Residency in the District of Columbia within six months of hire is required.
Salary: $90,000-99,000 plus benefits including student loan repayment assistance and subsidized public transportation.
To view the full posting and apply, please click here.